A few months ago I had never even heard of Function of Beauty, but now it seems like it is everywhere! With all the people raving about it, and seeing it all over my Instagram and Facebook pages I finally caved and bought the shampoo and conditioner set myself. Today I wanted to share with you my very honest review of Function of Beauty and their custom shampoo and conditioner.
What is Function of Beauty?
If you have never heard of the company Function of Beauty it is essentially a company that creates custom, personalized hair and body care products. Their main focus seems to be on hair care, especially their custom shampoos and conditioners.
How does it work?
Function of Beauty uses a hair quiz, where the customer answers about their hair type, pattern, and condition. It also asks what the customers hair goals are. For example, you could choose growth, frizz control, or curl definition as a hair goal. Once you’ve created your hair profile you can choose a fragrance and color for your formula as well.
What drew me to Function of Beauty?
There were a lot of reasons I was drawn to Function of Beauty. First and foremost I really liked that they formulated products to the individual. You weren’t going to a store and buying a mass produced, one size fits all shampoo and conditioner. I always love the idea of a product specifically curated for me because everyone is different so not all things work the same for everyone.
A few other things impressed me initially as well. Function of Beauty does not use sulfates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oils, or gluten in their products. We have all heard many times that sulfates and parabens are bad for your hair so I was excited to see the products were free of both. Function’s products are also vegan and made cruelty free.
Some other smaller things that really attracted me to Function of Beauty were the design and personalization. I love aesthetically pleasing things–no matter what it is, and they certainly have cute professional looking packages. I also was really excited about the pumps that come with the bottles.
My Experience and Review of Function of Beauty
First let me start out with my overall impression. I would give Function of Beauty’s shampoo and conditioner a 6 out of 10. Personally, I would not purchase again. Function of Beauty certainly has it’s pros and cons, but overall I was not super impressed. I’ll explain my experience with their products and take a deeper look into the pros and cons I just mentioned.
I am certainly not here to bash on any company, and my experience may be totally different with others. But, I wanted to be fully transparent and honest about my experience and opinion.
Okay, lets start of with the pros.
- I really loved the fragrance. I chose lavender as my fragrance (they have multiple options) and was very pleased with how the shampoo and conditioner smelled. It wasn’t overpowering but it kept my hair smelling nice all the way until my next wash.
- It gave my hair shine. I will say I started doing a few other different things with my hair around the same time I began using Function’s shampoo and conditioner, but I would at least attribute a portion of my hairs new shine to Function of Beauty.
- It limited frizz. I have fine wavy/curly hair and it loves to frizz up. So, I requested frizz control as one of my hair goals, and I do believe the conditioner helped with taming my wild, frizzy locks some.
- It came in very nice packaging. This may seem like a little thing, but I’ll be honest I can be pretty judg-ey about products based on their initial appearance and packaging.
Alrighty, now on to the cons in my review of Function of Beauty.
- The bottles were smaller than I expected. It is my fault for not knowing my ounces and how much they would look like in real life! That being said, I was very surprised at how small the bottles were when I received them–and I got the largest size! I do feel that the photos I seen mad them appear bigger than they are in real life.
- Both pumps broke after the first use. Remember how I mentioned my excitement over the pumps that came with the shampoo and conditioner? Well, that excitement was short lived. The pumps for both the shampoo and conditioner broke after the first use. This resulted in much more wasted product than what there should have been because I didn’t have a proper way to get the amount of product I needed for each wash.
- The shampoo lasted much-much shorter than the conditioner. And yes, this happens to me no matter what brand I am using. It’s totally normal. But I still have 2/3 of a bottle of conditioner left and my shampoo is completely gone. That’s a little excessive. Maybe this is user error, I have no idea how it happened!
- I couldn’t find the ingredients anywhere! I looked at my bottles, on my account, in the packaging, honestly everywhere I could think to but I couldn’t find the ingredients used in my formula anywhere. Based on some bad past experiences I am an ingredients reading fanatic when it comes to my hair care, so I was frustrated that I had no idea what I was putting on my hair and scalp. Again, maybe this was user error. But, if there is a place to see ingredients I certainly couldn’t find it at that point in time.
- For the size and how little time the product lasts, it’s pricey. The 16oz set is $49.99 and for me, it was gone in a month. That’s $600 dollars a year on shampoo and conditioner! To me, that seems crazy. I just don’t have the funds to justify it for the quality of product I’m actually getting.
- The end product wasn’t what I hoped for. Don’t get me wrong, my hair usually did look nice after I washed it, and it felt clean for a little while. But, I found that my hair got greasy quicker. With all the raving and glowing reviews I expected more and was somewhat disappointed in the performance.
The Wrap Up
I am all about hair care, especially since I have had very bad experiences and reactions with products in the past. It has made me very particular and choosey about what I use in my hair care routine. Unfortunately, in my review of Function of Beauty, their shampoo and conditioner did not meet my expectations and I will not be continuing to use them. I really love the premise of the company but the quality just wasn’t there for me.
I hope that this review of Function of Beauty’s shampoo and conditioner helped you. And again, I am not here to bash any company. That is the last thing I want or intend to do. Instead I am providing you with a very honest personal customer experience so that you can be more confident in what you are or aren’t spending your money on.
Thank you so much for reading. If you enjoyed this post and want to see more make sure to subscribe and join the Growing Daily family. If you have any questions, ideas, or comments don’t be shy. Leave them in the comment section below. I love to chat 🙂
Share With Others
Read the Latest Posts
- How To Make the Most of Your Week
- What I’ve Done My First Two Months of Blogging + Stats and Analytics
- The Best Facebook Groups for Bloggers
- Things to Do to Cope With Anxiety
- A Very Honest Review of Function of Beauty